A registered agent is a business or individual who serves as a company’s representative. They are typically tasked with accepting documents on the LLC’s behalf, including official government correspondence. This can include service of process notices, tax information, communication from the Secretary of State, and notices of lawsuits. Registered agents act as a middle-man, as it is their job to see that members of the LLC receive these documents.
Illinois Requirements For Individual Registered Agents
According to the Secretary of State’s office, every domestic and foreign corporation must maintain a registered agent on file with the Secretary of State at all times. Below are some of the state’s requirements for individuals serving as registered agents:
- The registered agent can be either a natural person licensed to transact business in the state
- The Registered Office must be located at a street address within the state of Illinois
- A P.O. box does not suffice as a valid street address
- The registered office and the office address of the registered agent must be the same
- The registered agent must reside in Illinois
Illinois Requirements For A Company Serving As A Registered Agent
Businesses also have the option of hiring a third-party company to serve as their registered agent, so long as they meet these requirements:
- The registered agent can be either a domestic or foreign legal entity that is licensed to transact business in the state
- The company provides a street address in the state that will serve as the registered office.
- A limited liability company cannot act as its own registered agent
DoMyLLC Can Serve As Your Registered Agent
It’s critical that new business owners find a registered agent upon who they can trust and rely. At DoMyLLC, we offer registered agent services to those looking to file as an LLC or corporation in the state of Illinois. When hiring us to serve as a registered agent, business owners can rest assured that they are receiving reliable, professional services, including:
- A physical address in the state of Illinois, meeting requirements set forth by the Secretary of State’s Office.
- An office available during business hours from Monday through Friday. We can accept all legal correspondence for a company.
- A secure online account where business owners can manage your documents.
- An innovative management system design making it easier than ever for business owners to handle all legal correspondence, even if they’re not in the state.
- A compliance reminder system that informs business owners when annual report filings are due, ensuring they never miss a deadline.
- A compliance calendar, which is an easy-to-view method that allows owner to track when annual reports are due.
- A vast document library that includes both state and internal paperwork for Corporations and LLCs
- Links to state and government agencies
- Unlimited document storage
If businesses in Illinois miss important deadlines, such as annual report filings, they could be subject to harsh penalties. When hiring DoMyLLC as a registered agent, business owners can trust that their information will be uploaded to the online management system immediately upon delivery and that they will never miss an important deadline. DoMyLLC allows business owners to focus on running their business instead of having to burden themselves with compliance paperwork.
How To Change Your Illinois Registered Agent
If you are a business owner in the state of Illinois who is not satisfied with the registered agent currently representing your company, it’s possible that you can make a change.
- Hire a New Agent – When a Illinois company wishes to change registered agents, they are required to submit paperwork to the Secretary of State’s office indicating this change. Not only will companies have to provide the information of their former registered agent, but they will also have to give the information of their new registered agent. If their former agent resigns, meaning they were forced to hire a new agent, companies are subject to a $300 penalty if they do not provide the information for a new agent within 60 days.
- File the Required Change of Agent Paperwork with the Illinois Secretary of State –Companies must submit a Statement of Change of Registered Agent and/or Registered Office to change registered agents. Unfortunately, businesses in Illinois cannot make changes to their registered agent information when they file their annual report.
- Pay the Filing Fee – The filing fee for changing registered agents in the state of Illinois ranges from $5 to $50. The payment may be made by check payable to Secretary of State or by credit card.
State Filing Fees
Whenever a company files paperwork that will have an impact on their registered agent in the state of Illinois, they must pay a filing fee. However, filing fees can vary significantly depending on the type of entity submitting the paperwork and whether this is their first filing. Below, you’ll find a detailed breakdown of the Illinois state filing fees.
|Entity Type||State Fee Registered Agent Change|
|Domestic Illinois Corporation||$25|
|Domestic Illinois Limited Liability Company||$25|
|Domestic Illinois Non-Profit Corporations||$5|
|Domestic & Foreign Partnerships (LP, LLP, LLLP)||$5|
|Foreign Corporations and LLCs||$25|
|Foreign Non-Profit Corporations||$5|
|Corporation Entity Type||State Fee for Formation|
|Domestic Illinois Corporation||$175|
|Domestic Illinois Non-Profit Corporation||$50|
|Foreign Corporation Qualification||$175|
|Foreign Non-Profit Corporation Qualification||$50|
|LLC Entity Type||State Fee for Formation|
|Domestic Illinois Limited Liability Company||$500|
|Domestic Illinois Partnerships||$150-$200|
|Foreign Limited Liability Company Qualification||$500|
|Foreign Partnership Qualification||$150-500|