A registered agent is a business or individual who serves as a company’s representative. They are typically tasked with accepting documents on the LLC’s behalf, including official government correspondence. This can include service of process notices, tax information, communication from the Department of the Treasury, and notices of lawsuits. A New Jersey Registered Agent Acts as a middle-man, as it is their job to see that members of the LLC receive these documents.
New Jersey Registered Agent Requirements For an Individual
According to the New Jersey Department of the Treasury, there are a few requirements that businesses must consider when choosing a registered agent. Companies have the option of selecting a trusted individual to serve as their registered agent, so long as the individual:
- Is at least 18 years old
- Agrees to serve as the registered agent for the company
- Is the only individual listed as the registered agent
- The individual provides an address that serves as the registered office
New Jersey Registered Agent Requirements For A Company
Businesses in New Jersey also have the option of choosing a company to serve as their registered agent, so long as:
- The company is in good standing with the state
- Is the only company listed as the registered agent for the company
- The company provides a New Jersey address to serve as the address for the registered office
DoMyLLC Can Serve As Your New Jersey Registered Agent
It’s critical that new business owners find a registered agent upon who they can trust and rely. At DoMyLLC, we offer New Jersey registered agent services to those looking to file as an LLC or corporation in the state of New Jersey. When hiring us to serve as a registered agent, business owners can rest assured that they are receiving reliable, professional services, including:
- A physical address in the state of New Jersey, meeting requirements set forth by the Department of the Treasury’s Office.
- An office available during business hours from Monday through Friday. We can accept all legal correspondence for a company.
- A secure online account where business owners can manage your documents.
- An innovative management system design making it easier than ever for business owners to handle all legal correspondence, even if they’re not in the state.
- A compliance reminder system that informs business owners when annual report filings are due, ensuring they never miss a deadline.
- A compliance calendar, which is an easy-to-view method that allows owner to track when annual reports are due.
- A vast document library that includes both state and internal paperwork for Corporations and LLCs
- Links to state and government agencies
- Unlimited document storage
If businesses in New Jersey miss important deadlines, such as annual report filings, they could be subject to harsh penalties. When hiring DoMyLLC as a New Jersey registered agent, business owners can trust that their information will be uploaded to the online management system immediately upon delivery and that they will never miss an important deadline. DoMyLLC allows business owners to focus on running their business instead of having to burden themselves with compliance paperwork.
How To Change Your New Jersey Registered Agent
If you are a business owner in the state of New Jersey who is not satisfied with the registered agent currently representing your company, it’s possible that you can make a change.
- Hire a New Agent – If you’re a business owner considering replacing your current registered agent, you should first make efforts to secure a new agent. The state of New Jersey requires you to submit the new agent’s information upon filing the Change of Agent paperwork.
- File the Required Change of Agent Paperwork with the New Jersey Department of the Treasury – As the Department of the Treasury outlines, companies can change their registered agent information online. When doing so, they must include their New Jersey street address. Companies in New Jersey can also change their registered agent information when filing their annual report. In addition to filing Change of Agent paperwork, New Jersey businesses can also update their registered agent information when filing their annual report.
- Pay the Filing Fee – The fee for changing a resident agent is $25. Companies can pay these fee via a depository account, e-check account, or a major credit card.
State Filing Fees
Business owners should pay careful attention when filing paperwork in New Jersey. Most paperwork involving a registered agent require filing fees. It’s imperative that owners pay the proper fees if they wish for their paperwork to be reviewed promptly. Below you’ll find a breakdown of the costs associated with filing registered agent paperwork in New Jersey.
|Entity Type||State Fee Registered Agent Change|
|Domestic New Jersey Corporation||$25|
|Domestic New Jersey Limited Liability Company||$15|
|Domestic New Jersey Non-Profit Corporations||$25|
|Domestic & Foreign Partnerships (LP, LLP, LLLP)||$25|
|Foreign Non-Profit Corporations||$25|
|Foreign Limited Liability Companies||$25|
|Corporation Entity Type||State Fee for Formation|
|Domestic New Jersey Corporation||$125|
|Domestic New Jersey Non-Profit Corporation||$75|
|Foreign Corporation Qualification||$125|
|Foreign Non-Profit Corporation Qualification||$125|
|LLC Entity Type||State Fee for Formation|
|Domestic New Jersey Limited Liability Company||$125|
|Domestic New Jersey Partnerships||$125|
|Foreign Limited Liability Company Qualification||$125|
|Foreign Partnership Qualification||$125|