A registered agent is a business or individual who serves as a company’s representative. They are typically tasked with accepting documents on the LLC’s behalf, including official government correspondence. This can include service of process notices, tax information, communication from the Division of Corporations, and notices of lawsuits. Registered agents act as a middle-man, as it is their job to see that members of the LLC receive these documents.
Delaware Requirements For Individual Registered Agents
The Delaware Division of Corporations has set forth Registered Agent Listing Standards. Business owners should take these requirements very seriously and should ensure that their registered agent meets the criteria. Requirements for individual registered agents in Delaware include:
- A domestic or foreign legal entity may serve as a registered agent
- If a business serves as a registered agent, they must maintain a business office in Delaware that is generally open.
DoMyLLC Can Serve As Your Registered Agent
It’s critical that new business owners find a registered agent upon who they can trust and rely. At DoMyLLC, we offer registered agent services to those looking to file as an LLC or corporation in the state of Delaware. When hiring us to serve as a registered agent, business owners can rest assured that they are receiving reliable, professional services, including:
- A physical address in the state of Delaware, meeting requirements set forth by the Division of Corporations’ Office.
- An office available during business hours from Monday through Friday. We can accept all legal correspondence for a company.
- A secure online account where business owners can manage your documents.
- An innovative management system design making it easier than ever for business owners to handle all legal correspondence, even if they’re not in the state.
- A compliance reminder system that informs business owners when annual report filings are due, ensuring they never miss a deadline.
- A compliance calendar, which is an easy-to-view method that allows owner to track when annual reports are due.
- A vast document library that includes both state and internal paperwork for Corporations and LLCs
- Links to state and government agencies
- Unlimited document storage
If businesses in Delaware miss important deadlines, such as annual report filings, they could be subject to harsh penalties. When hiring DoMyLLC as a registered agent, business owners can trust that their information will be uploaded to the online management system immediately upon delivery and that they will never miss an important deadline. DoMyLLC allows business owners to focus on running their business instead of having to burden themselves with compliance paperwork.
How To Change Your Delaware Registered Agent
If you are a business owner in the state of Delaware who is not satisfied with the registered agent currently representing your company, it’s possible that you can make a change.
- Hire a New Agent – When filing a Change of Agent with the Delaware Division of Corporations, businesses will need to provide the information of their new registered agent. Thus, it’s crucial that companies hire a new registered agent before relieving their current registered agent of their duties. Doing so allows for a seamless transition.
- File the Required Change of Agent Paperwork with the Delaware Division of Corporations – Whereas some states provided businesses with one standard Change of Agent form, the state of Delaware has different documents depending on what type of business is making the change. Business owners can visit this site to access their Change of Agent forms. Business owners should also remember to complete a Delaware Cover Memo and submit it with their Change of Agent form. Unlike other states, Delaware companies do not have the option of changing their registered agent when they file their Annual Report.
- Pay the Filing Fee – The fees for making a registered agent change can vary anywhere between $20 and $200, depending on the type of business filing the paperwork. Below, you’ll find a breakdown of the cost to change registered agents in the state of Delaware.
State Filing Fees
The cost for a company to make a change to its registered agent can vary significantly based on the type of company that is filing the paperwork. Similarly, new companies must pay fees during the formation process. The formation fees are different than the change of agent fees. Consider the tables below.
|Entity Type||State Fee Registered Agent Change|
|Domestic Delaware Corporation||$50|
|Domestic Delaware Limited Liability Company||$50|
|Domestic Delaware Non-Profit Corporations||$5|
|Domestic & Foreign Partnerships (LP, LLP, LLLP)||$50 – $200|
|Foreign Non-Profit Corporations||$20|
|Foreign Limited Liability Companies||$50|
|Entity Type||State Fee for Formation|
|Domestic Delaware Corporation||$89|
|Domestic Delaware Non-Profit Corporation||$89|
|Foreign Corporation Qualification||$245|
|Foreign Non-Profit Corporation Qualification||$245|
|LLC Entity Type||State Fee for Formation|
|Domestic Delaware Limited Liability Company||$90|
|Domestic Delaware Partnerships||$90|
|Foreign Limited Liability Company Qualification||$200|
|Foreign Partnership Qualification||$200|