A registered agent is a business or individual who serves as a company’s representative. They are typically tasked with accepting documents on the LLC’s behalf, including official government correspondence. This can include service of process notices, tax information, communication from the Secretary of State, and notices of lawsuits. A Montana Registered Agent acts as a middle-man, as it is their job to see that members of the LLC receive these documents.
Montana Registered Agent Requirements For an Individual
One of the options that business owners have in Montana is to select an individual to serve as their registered agent. The Montana Secretary of State details their requirements for registered agents. Below are some of the criteria:
- The registered agent must be at least 18 years old
- The agent must be a resident of Montana with a valid street address
- A P.O. box does not suffice as a valid street address
- The agent must be available at this address during regular business hours
Montana Registered Agent Requirements For A Company
The other option for businesses in Montana is to hire a third-party company to serve as their registered agent. The requirements for third-party registered agent companies are similar to the requirements for individuals in the state.
- The company must be authorized to operate in the state of Montana
- The company must have a valid address in the state of Montana
- The company must be open during regular business hours to accept business correspondence
DoMyLLC Can Serve As Your Montana Registered Agent
It’s critical that new business owners find a registered agent upon who they can trust and rely. At DoMyLLC, we offer Montana registered agent services to those looking to file as an LLC or corporation in the state of Montana. When hiring us to serve as a registered agent, business owners can rest assured that they are receiving reliable, professional services, including:
- A physical address in the state of Montana, meeting requirements set forth by the Secretary of State’s Office.
- An office available during business hours from Monday through Friday. We can accept all legal correspondence for a company.
- A secure online account where business owners can manage your documents.
- An innovative management system design making it easier than ever for business owners to handle all legal correspondence, even if they’re not in the state.
- A compliance reminder system that informs business owners when annual report filings are due, ensuring they never miss a deadline.
- A compliance calendar, which is an easy-to-view method that allows owner to track when annual reports are due.
- A vast document library that includes both state and internal paperwork for Corporations and LLCs
- Links to state and government agencies
- Unlimited document storage
If businesses in Montana miss important deadlines, such as annual report filings, they could be subject to harsh penalties. When hiring DoMyLLC as a Montana registered agent, business owners can trust that their information will be uploaded to the online management system immediately upon delivery and that they will never miss an important deadline. DoMyLLC allows business owners to focus on running their business instead of having to burden themselves with compliance paperwork.
How To Change Your Montana Registered Agent
If you are a business owner in the state of Montana who is not satisfied with the registered agent currently representing your company, it’s possible that you can make a change.
- Hire a New Agent – Before making efforts to remove your existing registered agent, you should first ensure that your new registered agent is in place. When you remove your current registered agent, the state of Montana will request the information for the new registered agent.
- File the Required Change of Agent Paperwork with the Montana Secretary of State – After you’ve secured your new agent, you can file paperwork with the state of Montana to indicate this change. The Montana Secretary of State’s office takes about ten business days to review the paperwork. Additionally, Montana businesses could update their registered agent information when they file their annual report.
- Pay the Filing Fee – Fortunately for business owners in Montana, there are no filing fees associated with changing a registered agent. You can pay to expedite your application, however. It costs $20 for 24-hour processing and $100 for one-hour processing.
State Filing Fees
When it comes to filing paperwork that will affect a business’ registered agent, the fees tend to vary in Missouri. It tends to be significantly cheaper to change registered agents than it does to form a company with a new registered agent. Regardless, business owners are responsible of making sure they pay the correct amount. The fee structure tables below should be beneficial in helping business owners determine what they owe.
|Entity Type||State Fee Registered Agent Change|
|Domestic Missouri Corporation||$10|
|Domestic Missouri Limited Liability Company||$10|
|Domestic Missouri Non-Profit Corporations||$10|
|Domestic & Foreign Partnerships (LP, LLP, LLLP)||$10|
|Foreign Non-Profit Corporations||$10|
|Foreign Limited Liability Companies||$10|
|Corporation Entity Type||State Fee for Formation|
|Domestic Missouri Corporation||$58|
|Domestic Missouri Non-Profit Corporation||$25|
|Foreign Corporation Qualification||$155|
|Foreign Non-Profit Corporation Qualification||$25|
|LLC Entity Type||State Fee for Formation|
|Domestic Missouri Limited Liability Company||$50|
|Domestic Missouri Partnerships||$50-$105|
|Foreign Limited Liability Company Qualification||$105|
|Foreign Partnership Qualification||$30-$110|