A registered agent is a business or individual who serves as a company’s representative. They are typically tasked with accepting documents on the LLC’s behalf, including official government correspondence. This can include service of process notices, tax information, communication from the Secretary of State, and notices of lawsuits. An Indiana Registered Agent act as a middle-man, as it is their job to see that members of the LLC receive these documents.
Indiana Registered Agent Requirements For an Individual
According to the Indiana Secretary of State website, all corporations, limited liability companies, limited liability partnerships, and limited partnerships must maintain a registered agent and a registered address. Below are some of the requirements set forth by the Secretary of State’s office.
- The registered agent must be an Indiana resident
- The business address of the registered agent must be identical to the office address
- A P.O. box will not suffice as a valid registered address
- If an individual, the registered agent must be at least 18 years old
Indiana Registered Agent Requirements For A Company
The Secretary of State’s office also has requirements for companies who act as an Indiana registered agent on a company’s behalf.
- The registered agent cannot be the business entity itself
- The registered agent may be a another formal business association which was incorporated or qualified in Indiana and which maintains a valid registered agent in Indiana
DoMyLLC Can Serve As Your Indiana Registered Agent
It’s critical that new business owners find a registered agent upon who they can trust and rely. At DoMyLLC, we offer Indiana registered agent services to those looking to file as an LLC or corporation in the state of Indiana. When hiring us to serve as a registered agent, business owners can rest assured that they are receiving reliable, professional services, including:
- A physical address in the state of Indiana, meeting requirements set forth by the Secretary of State’s Office.
- An office available during business hours from Monday through Friday. We can accept all legal correspondence for a company.
- A secure online account where business owners can manage your documents.
- An innovative management system design making it easier than ever for business owners to handle all legal correspondence, even if they’re not in the state.
- A compliance reminder system that informs business owners when annual report filings are due, ensuring they never miss a deadline.
- A compliance calendar, which is an easy-to-view method that allows owner to track when annual reports are due.
- A vast document library that includes both state and internal paperwork for Corporations and LLCs
- Links to state and government agencies
- Unlimited document storage
If businesses in Indiana miss important deadlines, such as annual report filings, they could be subject to harsh penalties. When hiring DoMyLLC as a registered agent, business owners can trust that their information will be uploaded to the online management system immediately upon delivery and that they will never miss an important deadline. DoMyLLC allows business owners to focus on running their business instead of having to burden themselves with compliance paperwork.
How To Change Your Indiana Registered Agent
If you are a business owner in the state of Indiana who is not satisfied with the registered agent currently representing your company, it’s possible that you can make a change.
- Hire a New Agent – When changing registered agents in the state of Indiana, it’s crucial that companies have their new agent selected before they begin the process. When submitting the paperwork, the state of Indiana’s Secretary of State’s office will ask for the name and address of the agent. Business owners would be wise to choose a new agent carefully before beginning the process of changing agents.
- File the Required Change of Agent Paperwork with the Indiana Secretary of State – Businesses must file a Statement of Change of Registered Agent form with the Secretary of State’s office. Completing the form is rather straightforward. Indiana businesses are able to fill out this form to update their registered agent information or they can do so when filing their annual report.
- Pay the Filing Fee – Fortunately for business owners in Indiana, there is no fee associated with changing registered agents. However, companies should not make a habit of changing their registered agent frequently.
State Filing Fees
Although there are no fees associated with changing registered agents in the state of Indiana, new business owners must still be considerate of the fact that they will have to pay fees to form their company. Below, you’ll find a detailed breakdown of the costs associated with establishing a business and changing registered agents in the state of Indiana.
|Entity Type||State Fee Registered Agent Change|
|Domestic Indiana Corporation||$0|
|Domestic Indiana Limited Liability Company||$0|
|Domestic Indiana Non-Profit Corporations||$5|
|Domestic & Foreign Partnerships (LP, LLP, LLLP)||$0|
|Foreign Non-Profit Corporations||$0|
|Foreign Limited Liability Companies||$0|
|Corporation Entity Type||State Fee for Formation|
|Domestic Indiana Corporation||$90|
|Domestic Indiana Non-Profit Corporation||$30|
|Foreign Corporation Qualification||$90|
|Foreign Non-Profit Corporation Qualification||$30|
|LLC Entity Type||State Fee for Formation|
|Domestic Indiana Limited Liability Company||$90|
|Domestic Indiana Partnerships||$90|
|Foreign Limited Liability Company Qualification||$90|
|Foreign Partnership Qualification||$90|