A registered agent is a business or individual who serves as a company’s representative. They are typically tasked with accepting documents on the LLC’s behalf, including official government correspondence. This can include service of process notices, tax information, communication from the Bureau of Corporations, Elections & Commissions, and notices of lawsuits. A Maine Registered Agent acts as a middle-man, as it is their job to see that members of the LLC receive these documents.
Maine Registered Agent Requirements For an Individual
The Maine Department of the Secretary of State has a few requirements for individuals serving as a registered agent.
- The registered agent must have a physical street address in the state
- The registered agent must be at this listed address during regular business hours
- A member of the business entity may serve as a registered agent on behalf of the company
- All registered agents must be over the age of 18
Maine Registered Agent Requirements For a Company
There are also requirements for companies who serve as registered agents on behalf of a business entity.
- Businesses acting as a registered agent must be authorized to conduct business in the state of Maine
- Businesses acting as a registered agent must have a physical address in the state and have someone at this address during regular business hours.
DoMyLLC Can Serve As Your Maine Registered Agent
It’s critical that new business owners find a registered agent upon who they can trust and rely. At DoMyLLC, we offer registered agent services to those looking to file as an LLC or corporation in the state of Maine. When hiring us to serve as a registered agent, business owners can rest assured that they are receiving reliable, professional services, including:
- A physical address in the state of Maine, meeting requirements set forth by the Bureau of Corporations, Elections & Commissions’ Office.
- An office available during business hours from Monday through Friday. We can accept all legal correspondence for a company.
- A secure online account where business owners can manage your documents.
- An innovative management system design making it easier than ever for business owners to handle all legal correspondence, even if they’re not in the state.
- A compliance reminder system that informs business owners when annual report filings are due, ensuring they never miss a deadline.
- A compliance calendar, which is an easy-to-view method that allows owner to track when annual reports are due.
- A vast document library that includes both state and internal paperwork for Corporations and LLCs
- Links to state and government agencies
- Unlimited document storage
If businesses in Maine miss important deadlines, such as annual report filings, they could be subject to harsh penalties. When hiring DoMyLLC as a Maine Registered Agent, business owners can trust that their information will be uploaded to the online management system immediately upon delivery and that they will never miss an important deadline. DoMyLLC allows business owners to focus on running their business instead of having to burden themselves with compliance paperwork.
How To Change Your Maine Registered Agent
If you are a business owner in the state of Maine who is not satisfied with the registered agent currently representing your company, it’s possible that you can make a change.
- Hire a New Agent – When changing agents, the most crucial part is hiring the new agent. That’s because the state of Maine asks for the new agent’s information when the business entity removes their existing registered agent. Businesses would be wise to take their time and hire a registered agent who they can trust.
- File the Required Change of Agent Paperwork with the Maine Bureau of Corporations, Elections & Commissions – To complete the change, businesses must complete the Commercial Registered Agent Statement of Appointment or Change form. Once complete, business owners can submit the completed form to the Secretary of State’s Division of Corporations, UCC, and Commissions. Unfortunately this is the only way Maine businesses can update this information. Businesses are not able to do so when they file their annual report.
- Pay the Filing Fee – The filing fee to change registered agents in Maine is $35. To expedite the filing by 24 hours, business owners can pay an additional $50. To expedite the filing so that the service is immediate, business owners can pay an extra $100.
State Filing Fees
If a business in Maine files paperwork with the Department of the Secretary of State that will impact their registered agent, they should be prepared to pay a filing fee. However, the filing fee will vary significantly depending on the type of business entity involved, so it’s essential that owners pay careful attention to the details.
|Entity Type||State Fee Registered Agent Change|
|Domestic Maine Corporation||$35|
|Domestic Maine Limited Liability Company||$35|
|Domestic Maine Non-Profit Corporations||$35|
|Domestic & Foreign Partnerships (LP, LLP, LLLP)||$35|
|Foreign Non-Profit Corporations||$35|
|Foreign Limited Liability Companies||$35|
|Corporation Entity Type||State Fee for Formation|
|Domestic Maine Corporation||$145|
|Domestic Maine Non-Profit Corporation||$40td>|
|Foreign Corporation Qualification||$250|
|Foreign Non-Profit Corporation Qualification||$45|
|LLC Entity Type||State Fee for Formation|
|Domestic Maine Limited Liability Company||$175|
|Domestic Maine Partnerships||$175|
|Foreign Limited Liability Company Qualification||$250|
|Foreign Partnership Qualification||$250|