A registered agent is a business or individual who serves as a company’s representative. They are typically tasked with accepting documents on the LLC’s behalf, including official government correspondence. This can include service of process notices, tax information, communication from the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, and notices of lawsuits. Registered agents act as a middle-man, as it is their job to see that members of the LLC receive these documents.
Michigan Requirements For Individual Registered Agents
The state of Michigan has strict requirements about who can conduct business as a registered agent.
- The registered agent can be an individual Michigan resident
- If an individual said person must be at least 18 years old
- Registered agents must have a street address in the state of Michigan and be at this address during regular business hours
DoMyLLC Can Serve As Your Registered Agent
It’s critical that new business owners find a registered agent upon who they can trust and rely. At DoMyLLC, we offer registered agent services to those looking to file as an LLC or corporation in the state of Michigan. When hiring us to serve as a registered agent, business owners can rest assured that they are receiving reliable, professional services, including:
- A physical address in the state of Michigan, meeting requirements set forth by the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs’ Office.
- An office available during business hours from Monday through Friday. We can accept all legal correspondence for a company.
- A secure online account where business owners can manage your documents.
- An innovative management system design making it easier than ever for business owners to handle all legal correspondence, even if they’re not in the state.
- A compliance reminder system that informs business owners when annual report filings are due, ensuring they never miss a deadline.
- A compliance calendar, which is an easy-to-view method that allows owner to track when annual reports are due.
- A vast document library that includes both state and internal paperwork for Corporations and LLCs
- Links to state and government agencies
- Unlimited document storage
If businesses in Michigan miss important deadlines, such as annual report filings, they could be subject to harsh penalties. When hiring DoMyLLC as a registered agent, business owners can trust that their information will be uploaded to the online management system immediately upon delivery and that they will never miss an important deadline. DoMyLLC allows business owners to focus on running their business instead of having to burden themselves with compliance paperwork.
How To Change Your Michigan Registered Agent
If you are a business owner in the state of Michigan who is not satisfied with the registered agent currently representing your company, it’s possible that you can make a change.
- Hire a New Agent – The most essential part of changing registered agents is first securing a new agent. Michigan requires businesses to have registered agents at all times. When removing your current agent, the state will ask you for the information of the new agent. This is not something that you want to rush.
- File the Required Change of Agent Paperwork with the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs – Once you have secured a new registered agent, you can submit a Certificate of Change of Registered Office and/or Change of Resident Agent. If submitting by mail, you can send the application to the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs. Michigan businesses do not have the option to update their registered agent information when they file their annual report each year.
- Pay the Filing Fee – Businesses must pay $5 to file change of agent paperwork with the state of Michigan. This fee is nonrefundable. When submitting by mail, businesses can pay by check or money order. When doing so, it’s imperative that they include their corporation name and identification number on the form of payment.
State Filing Fees
Relative to other states, the cost of filing registered agent paperwork in Michigan is quite affordable. However, the price to do so varies greatly depending on the type of business entity submitting the paperwork and their motive for doing so. It’s crucial that business owners pay close attention to filing fees when submitting registered agent paperwork in the state of Michigan.
|Entity Type||State Fee Registered Agent Change|
|Domestic Michigan Corporation||$5|
|Domestic Michigan Limited Liability Company||$5|
|Domestic Michigan Non-Profit Corporations||$5|
|Domestic & Foreign Partnerships (LP, LLP, LLLP)||$5|
|Foreign Non-Profit Corporations||$5|
|Foreign Limited Liability Companies||$5|
|Corporation Entity Type||State Fee for Formation|
|Domestic Michigan Corporation||$60 or more depending on authorized shares|
|Domestic Michigan Non-Profit Corporation||$20|
|Foreign Corporation Qualification||$60|
|Foreign Non-Profit Corporation Qualification||$20|
|LLC Entity Type||State Fee for Formation|
|Domestic Michigan Limited Liability Company||$50|
|Domestic Michigan Partnerships||$10-$100|
|Foreign Limited Liability Company Qualification||$50|
|Foreign Partnership Qualification||$10-$100|