A registered agent is a business or individual who serves as a company’s representative. They are typically tasked with accepting documents on the LLC’s behalf, including official government correspondence. This can include service of process notices, tax information, communication from the Secretary of State, and notices of lawsuits. A Minnesota Registered Agent acts as a middle-man, as it is their job to see that members of the LLC receive these documents.
Minnesota Registered Agent Requirements For an Individual
According to the Minnesota Secretary of State’s office, there are numerous requirements to become an individual registered agent in the state:
- The registered agent must have a registered office address in Minnesota
- A P.O. box does not suffice as a registered office address
- The registered agent must reside in Minnesota
- Individual registered agents must be at least 18 years old
Minnesota Registered Agent Requirements For A Company
The Secretary of State also defines what companies can serve as a registered agent in Minnesota.
- The registered agent must be a Minnesota entity authorized to do business in the state.
- An entity may not act as its own registered agent.
- The company must have a physical address in Minnesota.
DoMyLLC Can Serve As Your Registered Agent
It’s critical that new business owners find a registered agent upon who they can trust and rely. At DoMyLLC, we offer Minnesota registered agent services to those looking to file as an LLC or corporation in the state of Minnesota. When hiring us to serve as a registered agent, business owners can rest assured that they are receiving reliable, professional services, including:
- A physical address in the state of Minnesota, meeting requirements set forth by the Secretary of State’s Office.
- An office available during business hours from Monday through Friday. We can accept all legal correspondence for a company.
- A secure online account where business owners can manage your documents.
- An innovative management system design making it easier than ever for business owners to handle all legal correspondence, even if they’re not in the state.
- A compliance reminder system that informs business owners when annual report filings are due, ensuring they never miss a deadline.
- A compliance calendar, which is an easy-to-view method that allows owner to track when annual reports are due.
- A vast document library that includes both state and internal paperwork for Corporations and LLCs
- Links to state and government agencies
- Unlimited document storage
If businesses in Minnesota miss important deadlines, such as annual report filings, they could be subject to harsh penalties. When hiring DoMyLLC as a Minnesota registered agent, business owners can trust that their information will be uploaded to the online management system immediately upon delivery and that they will never miss an important deadline. DoMyLLC allows business owners to focus on running their business instead of having to burden themselves with compliance paperwork.
How To Change Your Minnesota Registered Agent
If you are a business owner in the state of Minnesota who is not satisfied with the registered agent currently representing your company, it’s possible that you can make a change.
- Hire a New Agent – The most crucial step when changing registered agents in securing a new agent. That’s because the paperwork required to changes agents asks businesses to provide the information of their new agent. If a company does not have an agent in place, they will likely scramble to find someone new, which defeats the whole purpose of changing agents in the first place. We recommend taking your time and finding an agent you can trust.
- File the Required Change of Agent Paperwork with the Minnesota Secretary of State – After finding a new registered agent, companies can submit a Notice of Change of Registered Office/Registered Agent to the Secretary of State. This is the only option that Minnesota business owners have to change their registered agent information. Businesses cannot do so when they file their annual report.
- Pay the Filing Fee – The cost to file change of agent paperwork in Minnesota is $35. However, companies can pay $55 for expedited services. Foreign corporations must pay a little bit more, as it costs them $50 to submit the paperwork and $70 for expedited services. Expedited services are only available when filing online or in-person.
State Filing Fees
Business owners should know that there will likely always be a fee when filing registered agent paperwork in the state of Minnesota. The fees tend to vary depending on the type of business submitting the forms. The tables below should give a concise breakdown of the fee structure.
|Entity Type||State Fee Registered Agent Change|
|Domestic Minnesota Corporation||$55|
|Domestic Minnesota Limited Liability Company||$55|
|Domestic Minnesota Non-Profit Corporations||$55|
|Domestic & Foreign Partnerships (LP, LLP, LLLP)||$35|
|Foreign Non-Profit Corporations||$70|
|Foreign Limited Liability Companies||$55|
|Corporation Entity Type||State Fee for Formation|
|Domestic Minnesota Corporation||$135|
|Domestic Minnesota Non-Profit Corporation||$120-$135|
|Foreign Corporation Qualification||$185|
|Foreign Non-Profit Corporation Qualification||$50|
|LLC Entity Type||State Fee for Formation|
|Domestic Minnesota Limited Liability Company||$135|
|Domestic Minnesota Partnerships||$120 – $135|
|Foreign Limited Liability Company Qualification||$185|
|Foreign Partnership Qualification||$100 – $120|