A registered agent is a business or individual who serves as a company’s representative. They are typically tasked with accepting documents on the LLC’s behalf, including official government correspondence. This can include service of process notices, tax information, communication from the Department of State, and notices of lawsuits. A New York Registered Agent acts as a middle-man, as it is their job to see that members of the LLC receive these documents.
New York Registered Agent Requirements For an Individual
The Department of State gives New York businesses the option of having an individual serve as their registered agent. Companies should ensure that the agent is:
- At least 18 years old
- A resident of New York
- Willing to list an address that will serve as the company’s registered office
- At the physical address during regular business hours
New York Registered Agent Requirements For A Company
If business owners do not have an individual who they trust to serve as their registered agent, they could also hire a corporation to do so. It’s crucial that business owners make sure that the corporation:
- Is licensed to do business in the state of New York
- Provides an address that serves as the parent company’s registered office
- Is willing to have their address serve as the address for the parent company in all public records
DoMyLLC Can Serve As Your Registered Agent
It’s critical that new business owners find a registered agent upon who they can trust and rely. At DoMyLLC, we offer New York registered agent services to those looking to file as an LLC or corporation in the state of New York. When hiring us to serve as a registered agent, business owners can rest assured that they are receiving reliable, professional services, including:
- A physical address in the state of New York, meeting requirements set forth by the Department of State’s Office.
- An office available during business hours from Monday through Friday. We can accept all legal correspondence for a company.
- A secure online account where business owners can manage your documents.
- An innovative management system design making it easier than ever for business owners to handle all legal correspondence, even if they’re not in the state.
- A compliance reminder system that informs business owners when annual report filings are due, ensuring they never miss a deadline.
- A compliance calendar, which is an easy-to-view method that allows owner to track when annual reports are due.
- A vast document library that includes both state and internal paperwork for Corporations and LLCs
- Links to state and government agencies
- Unlimited document storage
If businesses in New York miss important deadlines, such as annual report filings, they could be subject to harsh penalties. When hiring DoMyLLC as a New York registered agent, business owners can trust that their information will be uploaded to the online management system immediately upon delivery and that they will never miss an important deadline. DoMyLLC allows business owners to focus on running their business instead of having to burden themselves with compliance paperwork.
How To Change Your New York Registered Agent
If you are a business owner in the state of New York who is not satisfied with the registered agent currently representing your company, it’s possible that you can make a change.
- Hire a New Agent – Business owners should have already hired a new agent by the time they move to remove their current agent. Business owners should work to find a registered agent who is trustworthy and could help improve their business operations.
- File the Required Change of Agent Paperwork with the New York Department of State – Once they have secured a new registered agent, businesses will have to file a Certificate of Change with the Corporations Division of the New York Department of State. When doing so, companies must provide the name of the former registered agent and the new registered agent. It’s also important to note that New York businesses can also update their registered agent information when filing their annual report.
- Pay the Filing Fee – The cost of filing a Certificate of Change in the state of New York ranges between $5 and $30.
State Filing Fees
Fortunately for New York business owners who are looking to change registered agents, it’s much cheaper to do so than when you first formed your company. In fact, the cost of replacing an agent in New York is about 10% of the cost of establishing a new business entity. But, this also demonstrates how important it is for business owners to be diligent when filing, as it’s imperative that they pay the proper amount.
|Entity Type||State Fee Registered Agent Change|
|Domestic New York Corporation||$30|
|Domestic New York Limited Liability Company||$30|
|Domestic New York Non-Profit Corporations||$20|
|Domestic & Foreign Partnerships (LP, LLP, LLLP)||$5-$30|
|Foreign Non-Profit Corporations||$20|
|Foreign Limited Liability Companies||$20|
|Corporation Entity Type||State Fee for Formation|
|Domestic New York Corporation||$125|
|Domestic New York Non-Profit Corporation||$75|
|Foreign Corporation Qualification||$225|
|Foreign Non-Profit Corporation Qualification||$135|
|LLC Entity Type||State Fee for Formation|
|Domestic New York Limited Liability Company||$200|
|Domestic New York Partnerships||$200|
|Foreign Limited Liability Company Qualification||$250|
|Foreign Partnership Qualification||$200-$250|