A registered agent is a business or individual who serves as a company’s representative. They are typically tasked with accepting documents on the LLC’s behalf, including official government correspondence. This can include service of process notices, tax information, communication from the Secretary of State, and notices of lawsuits. A North Dakota Registered Agent acts as a middle-man, as it is their job to see that members of the LLC receive these documents.
North Dakota Registered Agent Requirements For an Individual
The North Dakota Secretary of State allows businesses to use individuals as registered agents. However, they must meet a few eligibility requirements.
- The individual must reside in North Dakota
- The individual must be at least 18 years old
- The individual should agree to become a registered agent
- The individual agent provides a physical mailing address where they are located during regular business hours
North Dakota Registered Agent Requirements For A Company
If a company chooses to not go with an individual registered agent, they could instead hire a company to serve on their behalf. Like individuals, companies must meet a few requirements to do so.
- The company must be registered with the Secretary of State
- The company must have a business office in the state of North Dakota
- The company provides a physical mailing address that is not a P.O. box
DoMyLLC Can Serve As Your North Dakota Registered Agent
It’s critical that new business owners find a registered agent upon who they can trust and rely. At DoMyLLC, we offer registered North Dakota agent services to those looking to file as an LLC or corporation in the state of North Dakota. When hiring us to serve as a registered agent, business owners can rest assured that they are receiving reliable, professional services, including:
- A physical address in the state of North Dakota, meeting requirements set forth by the Secretary of State’s Office.
- An office available during business hours from Monday through Friday. We can accept all legal correspondence for a company.
- A secure online account where business owners can manage your documents.
- An innovative management system design making it easier than ever for business owners to handle all legal correspondence, even if they’re not in the state.
- A compliance reminder system that informs business owners when annual report filings are due, ensuring they never miss a deadline.
- A compliance calendar, which is an easy-to-view method that allows owner to track when annual reports are due.
- A vast document library that includes both state and internal paperwork for Corporations and LLCs
- Links to state and government agencies
- Unlimited document storage
If businesses in North Dakota miss important deadlines, such as annual report filings, they could be subject to harsh penalties. When hiring DoMyLLC as a North Dakota registered agent, business owners can trust that their information will be uploaded to the online management system immediately upon delivery and that they will never miss an important deadline. DoMyLLC allows business owners to focus on running their business instead of having to burden themselves with compliance paperwork.
How To Change Your North Dakota Registered Agent
Business owners in the state of North Dakota do not have to be stuck with their current registered agent. If you are not satisfied with the registered agent currently representing your company, it’s possible that you can make a change.
- Hire a New Agent – North Dakota requires businesses to have a registered agent at all times. For that reason, it’s essential that you secure the services of a new agent before releasing your current agent from their job responsibilities.
- File the Required Change of Agent Paperwork with the North Dakota Secretary of State – Once you have hired a new registered agent, you can file a Form SFN 13019, Commercial or Noncommercial Registered Agent Statement of Change. When completing this form, you are required to include the information of both the former and new agents. Unfortunately, North Dakota businesses do not have the option of updating their registered agent information when filing their annual report.
- Pay the Filing Fee – The cost to change registered agents in North Dakota is $10. It’s crucial that businesses pay this when submitting their paperwork to ensure their file is processed accurately
State Filing Fees
If a North Dakota company files paperwork related to their registered agent, they are required to pay filing fees. Depending on the type of organization submitting the paperwork and their reasoning for doing so, the costs will vary significantly. Below, business owners can find a breakdown of North Dakota filing fees.
|Entity Type||State Fee Registered Agent Change|
|Domestic North Dakota Corporation||$10|
|Domestic North Dakota Limited Liability Company||$10|
|Domestic North Dakota Non-Profit Corporations||$10|
|Domestic & Foreign Partnerships (LP, LLP, LLLP)||$10|
|Foreign Non-Profit Corporations||$10|
|Foreign Limited Liability Companies||$10|
|Corporation Entity Type||State Fee for Formation|
|Domestic North Dakota Corporation||$100|
|Domestic North Dakota Non-Profit Corporation||$40|
|Foreign Corporation Qualification||$145|
|Foreign Non-Profit Corporation Qualification||$50|
|LLC Entity Type||State Fee for Formation|
|Domestic North Dakota Limited Liability Company||$135|
|Domestic North Dakota Partnerships||$25-$110|
|Foreign Limited Liability Company Qualification||$135|
|Foreign Partnership Qualification||$70-$110|