Tennessee Registered Agent
Those conducting business in the state of Tennessee are likely required to have a registered agent on file with the state’s Division of Business Services office. Although many consider this a formality, a registered agent could prove to be a tremendous asset for a business.
A registered agent is a business or individual who serves as a company’s representative. They are typically tasked with accepting documents on the LLC’s behalf, including official government correspondence. This can include service of process notices, tax information, communication from the Secretary of State, and notices of lawsuits. A Tennessee Registered Agent acts as a middle-man, as it is their job to see that members of the LLC receive these documents.
Tennessee Registered Agent Requirements For an Individual
The Tennessee Secretary of State makes clear that an individual can serve as a company’s registered agent. However, they must meet a few requirements to do so.
- The individual must be a resident of Tennessee
- The individual must have a physical address in the state
- The individual must be present at this address during regular business hours
- The registered agent must be at least 18 years old
Tennessee Registered Agent Requirements For a Company
In addition to having an individual serve as their registered agent, Tennessee businesses could also elect to have a third-party company serve as their registered agent. Like individuals, there are a few requirements that companies must meet to do so.
- The company must have a physical address in the state of Tennessee
- The company must be present at this address during regular business hours
- The company must be in good standing with the state of Tennessee
- The company must be authorized to conduct business in Tennessee
DoMyLLC Can Serve As Your Tennessee Registered Agent
It’s critical that new business owners find a registered agent upon who they can trust and rely. At DoMyLLC, we offer Tennessee registered agent services to those looking to file as an LLC or corporation in the state of Tennessee. When hiring us to serve as a registered agent, business owners can rest assured that they are receiving reliable, professional services, including:
- A physical address in the state of Tennessee, meeting requirements set forth by the Secretary of State’s Office.
- An office available during business hours from Monday through Friday. We can accept all legal correspondence for a company.
- A secure online account where business owners can manage your documents.
- An innovative management system design making it easier than ever for business owners to handle all legal correspondence, even if they’re not in the state.
- A compliance reminder system that informs business owners when annual report filings are due, ensuring they never miss a deadline.
- A compliance calendar, which is an easy-to-view method that allows owner to track when annual reports are due.
- A vast document library that includes both state and internal paperwork for Corporations and LLCs
- Links to state and government agencies
- Unlimited document storage
If businesses in Tennessee miss important deadlines, such as annual report filings, they could be subject to harsh penalties. When hiring DoMyLLC as a Tennessee registered agent, business owners can trust that their information will be uploaded to the online management system immediately upon delivery and that they will never miss an important deadline. DoMyLLC allows business owners to focus on running their business instead of having to burden themselves with compliance paperwork.
How To Change Your Tennessee Registered Agent
If you are a business owner in the state of Tennessee who is not satisfied with the registered agent currently representing your company, it’s possible that you can make a change.
- Hire a New Agent – The most critical step in the process of changing an agent is to hire a new agent. Businesses should emphasize this step, ensuring that they find an agent who can improve their business processes.
- File the Required Change of Agent Paperwork with the Tennessee Secretary of State – Once a company has secured a new registered agent, they should file a Change of Registered Agent/Office. When submitting this paperwork, businesses must provide the name and address of both the former and the new registered agents. Additionally, instead of filing this paperwork, Tennessee businesses could wait to change their registered agent until it was time to file their annual report.
- Pay the Filing Fee – The cost to change registered agents in Tennessee is $20. Failure to pay this will prevent the Secretary of State’s office from processing your submission.
State Filing Fees
When businesses file paperwork with the Tennessee Secretary of State, they may have to pay fees to do so. This is especially true if the forms are relevant to their registered agent. Business owners should pay careful attention to the amount they owe when submitting these filings, as the prices can vary significantly. Below is a breakdown of the Tennessee state filing fees.
|Entity Type||State Fee Registered Agent Change|
|Domestic Tennessee Corporation||$20|
|Domestic Tennessee Limited Liability Company||$20|
|Domestic Tennessee Non-Profit Corporations||$20|
|Domestic & Foreign Partnerships (LP, LLP, LLLP)||$20|
|Foreign Non-Profit Corporations||$20|
|Foreign Limited Liability Companies||$20|
|Corporation Entity Type||State Fee for Formation|
|Domestic Tennessee Corporation||$100|
|Domestic Tennessee Non-Profit Corporation||$100|
|Foreign Corporation Qualification||$600|
|Foreign Non-Profit Corporation||$600|
|LLC Entity Type||State Fee for Formation|
|Domestic Tennessee Limited Liability Company||$300|
|Domestic Tennessee Partnerships||$250|
|Foreign Limited Liability Company Qualification||$300|
|Foreign Partnership Qualification||$250|