Washington Amendment

Washington entrepreneurs that want to make changes in some aspects of their organizations have to be ready to handle the process that the state has set. To prepare your company, you have to familiarize yourself with the necessary paperwork.

Speak to an Expert today about
Amendments at 888-366-9552

What is A Washington Amendment?

When a Washington company decides to make changes to the items that it listed on its Articles of Incorporation/Organization, it has to inform the state. If the changes that your company wants to adopt will affect the structure of your business entity, you will have to file an amendment.

Reasons Why You Need To File An Amendment

There are many reasons why a Washington company has to file an amendment. Make sure you understand the changes and the formal paperwork that you will have to file.

A. Changing The Company Name –

  • LLCs

The Secretary of State has to be aware of the name that your company uses in conducting its business in Washington. If you decide to use a new name, you have to inform the state about your plans by filing an amendment. Additionally, you will also have to update all the records of your LLC with the state and government.

  • Corporations

If a Washington corporation wants to do business under a new name, it has to go through the legal process that the state implements. Once you are sure that the name you want to use is available, file an amendment form with the state and change the name of your corporation on all government records.

B. Changing Members Of The Business –

  • LLCs

Washington requires LLCs to provide information about their members and/or managers, including their addresses and contact information. You have to inform the Secretary of State if there are changes to these pieces of information. However, you cannot use the amendment form to do this. You can update the details about the LLC members through the Annual Report.

  • Corporations

The same rule applies to corporations. You have to report the officers and directors of your company, including their contact information and addresses. However, you cannot change this information by filing an amendment. The information can be updated through the Annual Report.

C. Changing Address Related To The Business – Washington has to be aware of the operating address of a company that conducts business in the state. So, you have to keep the Secretary of State up to date. However, you cannot report these changes through an amendment. Your company can update it on the Annual Report.

D. Changing Contact Information –

  • LLCs

The Secretary of State has to know how to reach your Washington LLC. You have to report any changes to the contact information of your company. You can include the phone number of the authorized representative on the amendment form.

  • Corporations

Washington corporations also need to report changes to their contact information. This way, the state can easily access your company in case it has queries. The amendment form includes a section where you can input the phone number of the authorized representative of your company.

E. Changing The Number Of Shares That A Corporation Is Authorized To Issue – Washington does not authorize LLCs to issue stock. So, they will not have to worry about filing an amendment for this specific change. But, corporations that are authorized to issue stock will have to inform the state if they want to change the number of shares that they are allowed to issue. You can do this by filing an amendment.

What Is Needed To File An Amendment?


Your Washington LLC has to complete the Amendment Certificate of Formation/Registration form and submit it to the Secretary of State. You can do this in person, by mail, or through fax. You also need to include the $30 filing fee.


Meanwhile, Washington corporations have to submit a completed Articles of Amendment to the Secretary of State. You can do this in person, by mail, or through fax. Do not forget the $30 filing fee.

How Can DoMyLLC Assist With Streamlining The Process?

Making changes to a company’s formation documents require proper completion and filing of paperwork. Depending on the changes, you may also have to take care of other documents. To help ease the process, you can turn to a reliable document filing company like DoMyLLC. Our team can provide support and assistance to Washington business owners who need help in handling formalities to ensure compliance with the state.

Washington Amendment FAQs

The filing fee for an amendment in Washington is $30. Expedited service requires you to pay an additional $50.

LLCs need to provide the following information:

  • Name of the company
  • Exact text of the amendment
  • Effective date
  • Signature of the authorized representative

Corporations have to include the following information:

  • Name of the company
  • Adoption date
  • Manner of adoption
  • Exact text of the amendment
  • Effective date
  • Signature of the authorized officer

The Secretary of State usually takes at least a month to finish processing an amendment. If you request expedited processing, you can expect the Secretary of State to finish in about a week.

The state will send a stamped copy to your company if you requested it through the cover letter.

Washington Business Resources

Washington Office of Secretary of State
Phone Number:

Washington Secretary of State
801 Capitol Way S PO Box 40234
Olympia, WA 98504-0234