Pennsylvania Amendment

Change is part of growing up. The same is true for businesses. Sometimes, change is necessary to help the business grow. When that happens, you have to be ready to handle the responsibilities as an owner.

Speak to an Expert today about
Amendments at 888-366-9552

What is A Pennsylvania Amendment?

The state of Pennsylvania requires all businesses to report any changes that they make to the items that are originally listed on the Articles of Incorporation/Organization. To do this, your company has to go through the amendment process and submit the proper paperwork to the Department of State.

Reasons Why You Need To File An Amendment

Generally, filing an amendment is necessary when a Pennsylvania company decides to make changes that will affect its business structure.

A. Changing The Company Name –

  • LLCs

If you think that changing the name of your Pennsylvania LLC is necessary, you have to make sure that it goes through the legal process. Submit an amendment to the Department of State. Then, make sure you also update the records of your LLC with the state and government.

  • Corporations

If your Pennsylvania corporation also wants to operate under a new name, you have to inform the Department of State. It requires you to file an amendment. Additionally, you also need to change the name of your corporation on the records with the state and government.

B. Changing Members Of The Business –

  • LLCs

Pennsylvania requires LLCs to submit a list of all members and managers as part of the Articles of Organization. You have to provide their names, addresses, and contact information. If there are changes in any of these pieces of information, you have to report it to the state through an amendment form.

  • Corporations

The state also requires Pennsylvania corporations to submit a list containing information about the officers and directors when they file the Articles of Incorporation. That is why your company has to inform it of any changes to the names, addresses, or contact information of these officials. Use the amendment form to do this.

C. Changing Address Related To The Business –

  • LLCs

An LLC in Pennsylvania may move its office to a new location. When that happens, you have to make sure that all the necessary documents addressed to the company reach your LLC. You have to inform the state about the changes by filing an amendment.

  • Corporations

The state has to know the operating address and registered office of your Pennsylvania corporation. This way, it can send all legal documents to the proper place. So, if your company has to move, inform the Department of State through an amendment.

D. Changing Contact Information –

  • LLCs

Pennsylvania LLCs have to make sure the Department of State can reach them. That is why you should report any changes to your contact information. The state requires a registered agent to serve as its point of contact with your LLC. You can inform the state of any changes using an amendment. However, it is best to file a Certificate of Change of Registered Office form if the only change is to the registered agent’s information.

  • Corporations

Corporations also have to do the same thing. Inform the Department of State if you change your contact information so they can easily communicate with your company. Generally, the state forwards all communication through your registered agent. If there are any changes regarding the agent, you have to file a Statement of Change of Registered Office form and pay $70.

E. Changing The Number Of Shares That A Corporation Is Authorized To Issue –  Pennsylvania LLCs do not issue shares. This change does not apply to them. Meanwhile, Pennsylvania corporations have to file an amendment if they intend to change the number of shares that they are authorized to sell.

What Is Needed To File An Amendment?


To formalize the changes, your LLC has to submit the completed Certificate of Amendment – Domestic Limited Liability Company form to the Corporation Bureau of the Department of State. If the amendment includes a change of name, you may also have to attach a Docketing Statement – Change and Consent to Appropriation or Use of Similar Name. You can file by mail or in person. Do not forget to include the $70 filing fee.


Pennsylvania corporations have to file an Articles of Amendment – Domestic Corporation form with the Corporation Bureau of the Department of State. You will also have to attach 2 copies of the completed Docketing Statement – Changes. You can file by mail or in person. You also need to pay $70 for the filing.

How Can DoMyLLC Assist With Streamlining The Process?

Making changes to a company’s formation documents require proper completion and filing of paperwork. Depending on the changes, you may also have to take care of other documents. To help ease the process, you can turn to a reliable document filing company like DoMyLLC. Our team can provide support and assistance to Pennsylvania business owners who need help in handling formalities to ensure compliance with the state.

Pennsylvania Amendment FAQs

The filing fee for an amendment is $70. Expedited service is available for an additional $70.

LLCs have to provide the following information:

  • Name of the company
  • Exact text of every amendment
  • LLC’s return address
  • The date you field the original Articles of Organization
  • LLC’s registered office address
  • Effective date
  • Authorized signature

Corporations have to provide the following information:

  • Name of the company
  • Exact text of every amendment
  • Corporation’s return address
  • Corporation’s registered office address
  • The date of incorporation
  • Effective date
  • Manner of adoption
  • Authorized signature

The Department of State normally takes 3-5 business days to finish processing an amendment. If you avail of the expedited processing service, they will finish the processing in 1 business day.

The Department of State will send a confirmation notice to your company by mail.

Pennsylvania Business Resources:

Pennsylvania Office of Secretary of State
Phone Number:
(717) 787-1057

Pennsylvania Secretary of State
Bureau of Corporations and Charitable
Organization 401 North Stre
Harrisburg, PA 17120