North Dakota Amendment

Change can be a good move to help a North Dakota company. When that time comes, you have to be ready to handle all responsibilities. Additionally, you have to make sure that your company reports all major changes to the state.

Speak to an Expert today about
Amendments at 888-366-9552

What is A North Dakota Amendment?

North Dakota requires all companies to report changes that will affect the formal entity structure of the business. To formalize and legalize your plans, you have to file the proper paperwork. This is a process called an amendment.

Reasons Why You Need To File An Amendment

There are many reasons why a  North Dakota company has to file an amendment. Generally, if you decide the changes that you want to make are related to those listed on your company’s Articles of Incorporation/Organization, you will have to file an amendment with the state.

A. Changing The Company Name –

  • LLCs

If you want to change the name of your North Dakota LLC, you have to go through the legal process that North Dakota implements. Submit an amendment to the Secretary of State to let them know about your plan to change the company name. Then, update the name of your company on all legal records with the government.

  • Corporations

If your North Dakota corporation wants to operate under a new name, your company has to file an amendment. Doing this will make sure the change becomes official. You will also have to change the name of your corporation on all government records.

B. Changing Members Of The Business –

  • LLCs

North Dakota does not require LLCs to change information related to members and/or managers through an amendment. Your company can just record the changes in the next annual report that it has to file.

  • Corporations

North Dakota corporations cannot change pieces of information related to the officers and directors through an amendment. If the names, addresses, and/or contact information changed, you will have to update the list on the annual report that your corporation has to file.

C. Changing Address Related To The Business – North Dakota does not require businesses to file an amendment every time there are changes in the principal office address and/or mailing addresses. Instead, your company can just notify the Secretary of State by phone or in writing.

D. Changing Contact Information –

  • LLCs

The North Dakota Secretary of State has to be up to date about the contact information of your company. This way, they will know how to reach your LLC in case they have legal queries. The state requires all LLCs to have a registered agent to receive all legal documents on behalf of the company. If there are changes to the registered agent, include it in the amendment form. You can also file a Change of Agent/Address form.

  • Corporations

Make sure that the Secretary of State has a way to reach your North Dakota corporation. So, you have to inform them about any changes to your contact information. Your company has a registered agent that serves as the state’s point of contact. If there are any changes to the registered agent information, you can update them using the amendment form. However, you can also choose to file a Commercial or Noncommercial Registered Agent Statement of Change form.

E. Changing The Number Of Shares That A Corporation Is Authorized To Issue – Since North Dakota LLCs cannot issue stock, they do not have to think about this amendment. However, North Dakota corporations that are authorized to issue stock have to inform the Secretary of State if they have any plans of changing the number of shares that they are allowed to sell.

What Is Needed To File An Amendment?


Domestic LLCs have to file a completed Limited Liability Company Articles of Amendment with the Secretary of State. Foreign LLCs have to submit a completed Amended Certificate of Authority Foreign Limited Liability Company Application form to the Secretary of State. If the foreign LLC wants to change its company name, it has to obtain the latest original Certificate of Fact from the home state.

You can download the forms from the website of the Secretary of State. You can file by mail, fax, or in person. Fax filings require credit card payment. The total fee is $50.


Domestic corporations in North Dakota have to file the Corporation Articles of Amendment form with the Secretary of State. Meanwhile, foreign corporations have to use the Amended Certificate of Authority Foreign Corporation Application form. If your foreign corporation wants to change its name, you have to include a Certificate of Fact from the home state. All forms are available on the website of the Secretary of State. The filing fee for domestic corporations is $20, while foreign corporations have to pay $40.

How Can DoMyLLC Assist With Streamlining The Process?

Making changes to a company’s formation documents require proper completion and filing of paperwork. Depending on the changes, you may also have to take care of other documents. To help ease the process, you can turn to a reliable document filing company like DoMyLLC. Our team can provide support and assistance to North Dakota business owners who need help in handling formalities to ensure compliance with the state.

North Dakota Amendment FAQs

The filing fee for LLCs, both domestic and foreign, is $50. Domestic corporations have to pay $20, while foreign corporations need to pay $40.

LLCs have to provide the following information:

  • Name of the company
  • Exact text of each amendment
  • Authorized signature

Corporations have to provide the following information:

  • Name of the company
  • Exact text of each amendment
  • Authorized signature

The Secretary of State usually takes 7-10 business days to finish processing an amendment.

If you want the Secretary of State to return a stamped copy, you have to file in duplicate.

North Dakota Business Resources:

North Dakota Office of Secretary of State
Phone Number:
(701) 328-4284

North Dakota Secretary of State
600 East Boulevard Avenue
Bismarck, ND 58505-0500