Montana Amendment

Deciding to make changes to a company can be hard. As a business owner, there are a lot of factors you need to consider. One of these things is the process that your company has to go through to formalize the adoption of the changes.

Speak to an Expert today about
Amendments at 888-366-9552

What is A Montana Amendment?

The amendment process is a state requirement for companies that want to make changes to their Articles of Incorporation/Organization. In Montana, businesses have to go through the amendment process to legalize these changes.

Reasons Why You Need To File An Amendment

The filing of an amendment is applicable to various instances. Generally, your company has to file the proper paperwork with the state if the changes that you want to adopt will affect the business structure of your organization.

A. Changing The Company Name –

  • LLCs

If a Montana LLC decides to change its company name, it has to go through different processes. You have to update all the official records of the company, as well as those with the state and government. But, before implementing the change, you will have to inform the Secretary of State of your plan. You can do this by filing an amendment.

  • Corporations

The same thing is true for Montana corporations. If you want to change the name of your company, you have to go through the amendment process. You will have to make sure the state is aware of your plan. Additionally, you will also have to change the name of your company on legal documents and official records with the state and government.

B. Changing Members Of The Business –

  • LLCs

When you organized your LLC in Montana, you submitted documents to register your business operations. Among the things you provided were a list of names, addresses, and contact information of the members and/or managers of your company. You have to inform the state if certain pieces of information changed. You can do this through an amendment.

  • Corporations

Likewise, corporations in Montana also submitted formation documents to the state to formalize their registration. These pieces of information include a list of names, addresses, and contact information of the officers and directors of your company. So, make sure to report to the state any changes to these items. Submit an amendment form to the state.

C. Changing Address Related To The Business –

  • LLCs

Moving to a new location may help an LLC expand its business. However, you have to make sure that the state knows if you change your operating address and/or registered office. You can do this by filing an amendment. This way, you can be sure that you receive all the necessary documents that are addressed to your LLC.

  • Corporations

Corporations also need to make sure that the records of the state are up to date. Any changes to the operating address and/or registered office must be reported through an amendment. Doing this will ensure that you receive the legal documents, such as those related to your filing and tax obligations.

D. Changing Contact Information –

  • LLCs

Aside from your company address, the contact information of your Montana LLC is a way for the Secretary of State to reach you. Make sure to inform the state of any changes. The amendment form includes a section for the phone number and email address of your authorized representative.

  • Corporations

Montana corporations also need to keep the Secretary of State up to date about their business contact information. Not only will it update your company’s records with the state, but it will also ensure that you receive legal queries related to your business. Fill out the section on the amendment form for the phone number and email address of the authorized representative of the company.

E. Changing The Number Of Shares That A Corporation Is Authorized To Issue – Since LLCs in Montana cannot issue stock, they do not have to worry about this change. As for corporations, they have to inform the state if they plan on making changes to their stock plan. If you are thinking of changing the number of shares that your corporation is authorized to sell, file an amendment to inform the Secretary of State.

What Is Needed To File An Amendment?


To amend the Articles of Organization of your Montana LLC, you will have to submit a completed Articles of Amendment for Domestic Limited Liability Company to the Secretary of State. You can file the proper form by mail, fax, or in person. You also need to include the $15 filing fee.


Montana corporations need to complete the Articles of Amendment for Profit Corporation form and file it with the Secretary of State. You can do this by mail, fax, or in person. The cost of an amendment filing is $15.

How Can DoMyLLC Assist With Streamlining The Process?

Making changes to a company’s formation documents require proper completion and filing of paperwork. Depending on the changes, you may also have to take care of other documents. To help ease the process, you can turn to a reliable document filing company like DoMyLLC. Our team can provide support and assistance to Montana business owners who need help in handling formalities to ensure compliance with the state.

Montana Amendment FAQs

The filing fee for an amendment is $15. Expedited service comes with an additional fee.

  • 1-hour service – $100
  • 1-day processing – $20

LLCs have to provide the following information:

  • Name of the company
  • Organization date
  • Exact text of the amendment
  • Authorized signature

Corporations have to provide the following information:

  • Name of the company
  • Exact text of the amendment
  • The adoption date
  • Authorized signature

Normally, the Secretary of State takes approximately 1-2 weeks to finish processing an amendment. However, you can request expedited service. They offer 1-day and 1-hour services.

To get a stamped copy of the amendment document, submit the forms in duplicate. The Secretary of State will send the copy to your company address.

Montana Business Resources

Montana Office of Secretary of State
Phone Number:
(334) 242-5324

Montana Secretary of State
PO Box 202801
Helena, MT 59620-2801