Mississippi Amendment

While handling your business in Mississippi, there may come a time when you realize that you have to make certain changes. In such instances, you must be aware of the process that the state has set. You will also have to make sure that your company reports important changes to the state.

Speak to an Expert today about
Amendments at 888-366-9552

What is A Mississippi Amendment?

Mississippi requires all businesses to file the proper paperwork to formalize the changes they want to adopt. Doing this is known as an amendment. Generally, any changes to the items listed on the Articles of Incorporation/ Certificate of Formation of your company requires the filing of an amendment with the state.

Reasons Why You Need To File An Amendment

If the changes that you plan on adopting will affect the formal entity structure of your Mississippi company, you will need to file an amendment.

A. Changing The Company Name –

  • LLCs

In certain cases, the best thing a company can do to help expand its business is to change the company name. But before applying the changes, you have to make sure the state knows of your plan. Submit an amendment to inform the Secretary of State. Then, check the records of your company with the state and government. Change the LLC name on official documents, if necessary.

  • Corporations

When you decide to use a new name for your Mississippi corporation, you have to inform the state about your plan. Doing this will formalize the change of your corporation’s name. Other than this paperwork, you will also have to ensure that all state and government records are updated.

B. Changing Members Of The Business –

  • LLCs

Your Mississippi LLC provided information about the members and managers when you first submitted the Articles of Organization. You will have to inform the state if there are any changes to the names, addresses, and contact information. You can do this by filing an amendment. Another way of updating the information is through the annual report.

  • Corporations

The Articles of Incorporation of your Mississippi corporation includes basic information about the officers and directors, such as their names, addresses, and contact information. If there are any changes to any of these pieces of information, report it to the state. You can either file an amendment or make the changes on the annual report.

C. Changing Address Related To The Business –

  • LLCs

The address of your Mississippi LLC is the state’s way of contacting your company. So, it is necessary to report changes to your office location. File an amendment if the operating address and registered office of your company change.

  • Corporations

The same thing is true for Mississippi corporations. The state must know where your company is located. Report any changes to your corporation’s operating address or registered office.

D. Changing Contact Information –

  • LLCs

The contact information of your LLC is a medium of communication between your company and the state. It is an easy way for the state to reach your company. So, you have to report any changes to your company’s contact information. If the changes are related to your company’s registered agent, which also acts as a point of contact, you can file an amendment.

  • Corporations

The state needs to have up to date records on the contact information of your corporation. This way, it can easily contact your company in case it has queries or important announcements. If there are changes on the pieces of information about your corporation’s registered agent, inform the state using an amendment.

E. Changing The Number Of Shares That A Corporation Is Authorized To Issue – Mississippi LLCs cannot issue shares. So, they do not have to be concerned about making this change. On the other hand, Mississippi corporations that want to change the number of shares they are authorized to sell have to file an amendment.

What Is Needed To File An Amendment?


Making amendments to the Certificate of Formation of your LLC in Mississippi is not as complicated as you may think. You can complete the amendments using the online filing system of the Secretary of State. You can choose to finish the whole process, including the $50 payment, online. But, if you want to mail the amendment, you have to print it and attach a check payable to the Secretary of State.


Mississippi corporations need to file with the Secretary of State. You can finish the whole process and the payment of the $50 fee online. You can also print the document and submit it by mail, along with a check payable to the Secretary of State.

How Can DoMyLLC Assist With Streamlining The Process?

Making changes to a company’s formation documents require proper completion and filing of paperwork. Depending on the changes, you may also have to take care of other documents. To help ease the process, you can turn to a reliable document filing company like DoMyLLC. Our team can provide support and assistance to Mississippi business owners who need help in handling formalities to ensure compliance with the state.

Mississippi Amendment FAQs

The filing fee for an amendment is $50.

LLCs have to provide the following information:

  • Name of the company
  • The future effective date, if applicable
  • Exact text of the amendment
  • Authorized signature
  • The physical address of the representative

Corporations have to provide the following information:

  • Name of the company
  • Type of corporation
  • The future effective date, if applicable
  • Adoption date
  • Exact text of the amendment
  • Manner of approval
  • Authorized signature

The Secretary of State takes approximately 2-3 business days. They finish processing online filings within 24 hours.

The Secretary of State sends an email shortly after an online filing. Those who submit by mail will receive a copy through the authorized representative. Your company can also view and/or print the filed documents on the Business Services website of the Secretary of State.

Mississippi Business Resources

Mississippi Office of Secretary of State
Phone Number:
(601) 359-1633

Mississippi Secretary of State
125 South Congress Street
Jackson, MS 39201