Minnesota Amendment

Making changes to a company is part of growing. When you reach this point, you might find the process a bit overwhelming. Proper understanding of the things that you have to do can help you face these changes.

Speak to an Expert today about
Amendments at 888-366-9552

What is A Minnesota Amendment?

The state of Minnesota requires all businesses to report changes that they make to the items that are originally listed on the Articles of Incorporation/Organization. To do this, your company has to go through the amendment process and submit the proper paperwork.

Reasons Why You Need To File An Amendment

Generally, filing an amendment is necessary when a company decides to make changes to the organization that will affect its business structure.

A. Changing The Company Name –

  • LLCs

Sometimes, changing the name of your Minnesota LLC may be necessary. To make the change legal, your company has to go through the legal process that the state has set. Submit an amendment to the Secretary of State. Then, make sure you also update the records of your company with the state and government.

  • Corporations

Some corporations also end up changing their company names. Doing this also requires you to file an amendment with the Secretary of State. Additionally, you also need to change the name of your company on the records with the state and government.

B. Changing Members Of The Business –

  • LLCs

Minnesota does not require LLCs to submit a list of all members and managers. You only have to provide information about your company’s Chief Manager on the annual renewal. However, if you decided to customize your Articles of Organization, you can include information about your members and managers. If this is the case, you can make changes to these pieces of information using an amendment.

  • Corporations

The state does not require Minnesota corporations to submit a list containing information about the officers and directors. You only have to provide information about the CEO of your company on your annual renewal. But if you chose to draft your Articles of Incorporation when you first registered, you can file an amendment to make changes to pieces of information related to your company officials.

C. Changing Address Related To The Business –

  • LLCs

An LLC in Minnesota can only change its business mailing address through an amendment. Doing this will ensure the receipt of all legal and important documents addressed to the LLC.

  • Corporations

You cannot change the address of your corporation using an amendment form. Changes in the registered office address must be done using the Notice of Change of Registered Office/Registered Agent.

D. Changing Contact Information –

  • LLCs

Minnesota LLCs have to make sure the Secretary of State can reach them. That is why you should report any changes to your contact information. You need to put the updated email address of the LLC and phone number of an authorized representative.

  •  Corporations

Corporations also have to do the same thing. Inform the Secretary of State if you change your contact information. This way, you will be sure to receive legal queries related to your business. The amendment form requires you to include the updated email address of your corporation and contact number of an authorized representative.

E. Changing The Number Of Shares That A Corporation Is Authorized To Issue –  Minnesota LLCs do not issue shares. This change does not apply to them. Meanwhile, Minnesota corporations have to file an amendment if they wish to change the number of shares that they are authorized to sell.

What Is Needed To File An Amendment?


To formalize the changes, your LLC has to submit the completed Amendment of Articles of Organization for a Limited Liability Company form to the Secretary of State either in person, online, or by mail. You also need to include $35 for the filing fee. If you plan to pay by check, make them payable to the Minnesota Secretary of State.


Minnesota corporations have to file an Amendment of Articles of Incorporation with the Secretary of State. You can file in person, online, or by mail. You will also need to include your payment for the filing fee. The cost for domestic corporations is $25 and $50 for foreign corporations. The state accepts cash or check payments for paper filings and check or credit card for online filings.

How Can DoMyLLC Assist With Streamlining The Process?

Making changes to a company’s formation documents require proper completion and filing of paperwork. Depending on the changes, you may also have to take care of other documents. To help ease the process, you can turn to a reliable document filing company like DoMyLLC. Our team can provide support and assistance to Minnesota business owners who need help in handling formalities to ensure compliance with the state.

Minnesota Amendment FAQs

The filing fee for a Minnesota LLC is $35. Domestic corporations need to pay $25, while foreign corporations have to pay $50. If you file online using the Business Express Services of the state, you will have to pay an additional $10.

LLCs have to provide the following information:

  • Name of the company
  • Exact text of every amendment
  • Authorized signature
  • Email address
  • Contact information of a representative

Corporations have to provide the following information:

  • Name of the company
  • Effective date
  • Exact text of each amendment
  • Authorized signature
  • Email address
  • Contact information of a representative

The Secretary of State takes around 5-7 business days to finish processing an amendment. Processing of online filings finishes within a business day. The state processes walk-in documents while you wait.

The Secretary of State will mail the filed documents, along with a packing slip, after the processing. You can expect the documents 7-10 business days after your filing.

Minnesota Business Resources

Minnesota Office of Secretary of State
Phone Number:
(651) 296-2803

Minnesota Secretary of State
60 Empire Drive, Suite 100
St. Paul, MN 55103